Shop Front :: Squaring Up Photographs for your Shop

Written by Claire Davenport of Scrubbity

We all know that Folksy likes square pictures and that the magic size is 495 x 495 pixels. Unfortunately, cameras like rectangles so what looks good on the screen of your camera will end up chopped and cropped if you upload it straight to Folksy without a little tweaking. Here’s a quick ‘how-to’….

First off, imagine your camera screen is a square. When you line up your shot, aim to get your item (or, if you’re working in macro, the detail you want to show) in the centre of that square. If you’re not sure, put your fingers over the two outer edges of your picture when you view it on your camera screen to square it off. If they obscure the item you’re photographing, zoom out a little and try again.

It doesn’t matter if the edge of the picture shows your mountain of tangled yarn, your feet, your children or anything else that might be in the way. We’ll chop them off in a minute. You don’t need any fancy software for this either. To demonstrate, I’m going to use the MS Office Picture Manager.

1. Open your image file in whatever software you have, as I said, I’m using Picture Manager.

2. Crop your image to a square. For Picture Manager, go to Picture > Crop. Make sure that anything in the background you’d rather not share with the rest of Folksy is removed. If you look at the right of my screen below, you can (just about) see that the pixel numbers for height and width of the new image are the same under picture dimensions. It doesn’t matter how big it is, so long as the numbers are equal.

3. Once you’ve got it into a square, click ok. Now we’re going to resize it. Remember, the magic number for Folksy is 495 x 495 pixels. Go to Picture > Resize. In the right-hand menu, select custom width x height and enter 495 x 495. Click ok.

Then all you need to do is save it and upload it to your item listing as usual. Ta-daa!

This tutorial has been kindly written for Folksy by Claire Davenport of Scrubbitty. “I like simple designs that are well made and long-lasting. For more about me, see my blog: The Hookery. For more crocheted homewares and occasional OOAK items, see my other shop, Eidelweiss

7 Responses

1. Ingrid from IngridNation
    Ingrid from IngridNation June 24, 2010 at 9:59 am |

That is such useful information. I was caught out by the square cropping the first time I uploaded photographs to Folksy as I hadn’t left enough margin around the sides of my photo, although I did figure it out in the end.
    Thanks for the tutorial, Claire.

2. AstridsGarden
    AstridsGarden June 24, 2010 at 11:03 am |

Thank you, this is helpful. I’m slowly getting my head a round the technical bits and it really helps to have it written out in plain and simple language.

3. Elissa @ Not Just Handbags
    Elissa @ Not Just Handbags June 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm |

Good tips! Have finally mastered getting some half decent shots, however, when photographing handbags it is still really hard as to try and get a square you sometimes have to shoot it from about 10′ away, lol!

4. Sandra
    Sandra June 26, 2010 at 2:56 pm |

Yes I really got caught out by the square photos as most of what I make are tall and slim! So getting a detailed pic is really difficult as some of my items are 1 metre high and only 8″ wide! But I do try my best.

5. Brenda
    Brenda December 2, 2010 at 7:14 am |

No use to me at all as I don’t have a graphics package and don’t even know what picture manager is…when people give instructions , they seem to forget that not everybody understands these “techno speak” terminologies. Even if I had picture manager it says crop….HOW???….
    It seems that people forget that there are a lot of listed on Folksy who are NON techie and that leaves us at a disadvantage when showing our pictures !!

6. Hilary
    Hilary December 2, 2010 at 11:26 am |

Hi Brenda,

Most computers come ready installed with software to manage your pictures. It will depend on which operating system you are running, windows 98, xp or vista for example.

Open up your computer programs (click ‘start’ it’s the big windows icon bottom left of your screen, and click on ‘all programs’) Scan through the list looking for something that says either microsoft picture manager or you may have ‘Windows Photo Gallery’ (depending on which operating system you are using)

If you use a digital camera then your images are usually managed by these free applications, scroll along the top of an image and you will see options like ‘fix’, just using these will enable you to crop photos square.

Alternatively you could use web based software such as Picassa to crop your photos. http://picasa.google.com/

Take advantage of the free video tutorials that are offered on sites like these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskC6c_5L1M

Email support@folksy.com if you are having trouble listing items.

Thanks,

Hilary

7. gael
    gael September 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm |

Tried 495×495, and my photos looked worse than ever.Folksy photos are a pain lol.