8 Responses

1. Charlotte brown
    Charlotte brown July 12, 2011 at 10:23 am |

Really interesting post – my mum is an artist and we used to travel from Norfolk to Cornwall for this show when I was a kid to exhibit. I love the idea about not being too hung up over sales – definately a hang up of mine!!

2. Sarah
    Sarah July 12, 2011 at 11:26 am |

Good to hear how people get on at these shows, you always wonder how well you can do and good tips for newbies thinking of attending a craft fair.

3. littlewrenpottery
    littlewrenpottery July 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm |

Great article, I must say I too get really nervous before shows. I always worry about how my work will look next to everyone elses! I know its not something I should worry about but seeing how other people display their work is really interesting.

4. Kay Brown - Daisychain Jewellery Design / Contemporary Homemade Fair

What a really honest and refreshing blog! A realistic story of the concerns most of us crafters have when thinking if to accept an invitation to a show and the pressures we put ourselves under! Being completely aware of this pressure I decided to add to mine by organising for the first time, last year the http://www.contemporaryhomemadefair.com event. Aware that I had asked quite a few untapped craft talents to the event I sent out a Hints & Tips sheet on preparing, selling etc at the fair to all my exhibitors which was found to be helpful, thankfully! I just wonder why more show organisers don’t!

5. sheridanart
    sheridanart July 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm |

Lovely stall Kirsty!! Looks amazing you must work really hard to you make it look so easy! I hope you get loads of sales ;o)

6. Hilary
    Hilary July 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm |

Kay – I think it shows a great craft fair organiser when they know that the success of the stall holders is vital to the future success of the fair – so many crafters feel that the organisers care more about lining their pockets and are left feeling resentful about paying their stall money.

As well as great organisation skills, it takes good customer service and communication from an organiser to have a big community of happy stallholders (a little like what we try and do here at Folksy, just an online version!)

Thanks so much for writing this for our craft market tips series Kirsty – I hope it brings you some new leads and customers!

7. Cat's Ceramics
    Cat's Ceramics July 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm |

What a great and sooo true article Kirsty! I always do the same and promise I will be hyper organised before a show but some how to I end up rushing near the end and making things at the very last minute! :)

8. Helen
    Helen July 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm |

What a great post, really interesting to hear about the amount of sales as I also wonder how it goes at big events like that. It’s really great that you gave out so many business cards though, I like to take a card and then have a good nosy through the website when I’ve got a comfy chair and a cuppa so I hope something comes of giving them out! Helen :)