Home NewsDevelopment New developments on Folksy

New developments on Folksy

We’re rolling out some changes today so keep your eyes peeled for the following developments. Do let us know what you think!

Facebook integration

Facebook is so popular we want to make it easier for buyers and sellers to share their favourite items there. So we’ve added:

• a ‘Like’ button on each listing (look below the photo!) so you can give items you like a thumbs-up and post them to your Facebook wall
  • a ‘Share this item on Facebook’ option for sellers to share new listings – look for this at the last stage of the listing process

We’re also working on a Folksy Facebook shop, which should be ready shortly. Remember we have a new Folksy Facebook page, so please come and join us.

New categories

Most of the categories we’ve been asked for are now being added. We’re still mulling over some of the more complicated ones, so will continue to work on this and keep you posted on developments on the Folksy blog.

A simplified sign-up page

We got the feedback that our sign-up page was off-putting for some folks, so we’ve simplified it as much as we can. We’ll monitor the difference that this makes and will continue to work on making Folksy more user-friendly.

New team members

The good news is we’ve found our new developer (at last!). He will be joining the team in Sheffield shortly to work through a wishlist of new developments including shop sections, shipping profiles. search improvements and improved performance. We’ll introduce him when he joins us properly in a few weeks.

We can also report a huge increase in traffic to the Folksy blog since Hilary started. Thank you Hilary! The feedback we’ve had on the craft fair secrets series and Folksy Fridays has been fantastic. We’re really interested in your comments and ideas so please keep them coming.

Promotion and PR

We’ve been working with some consultants over the past few weeks and are now making progress on SEO (search engine optimisation) and PR. This all takes time to put in place but we’ll share our progress with you as it goes along.

A big thank you!

We’ve had a really busy, interesting few months and as always are really grateful for the visits, orders, tweets, ‘likes’ and all other forms of support. Thanks for helping us to keep Folksy buzzing along!

The Folksy Team.

Hilary June 15, 2010 - 4:06 pm

i just used the new facebook buttons on a new listing and they’re really great!

Remember you can use the @folksy tag and your own fan page tag when you’re sharing your listings on facebook and they will appear on these pages too – double quick sharing :)

Clare's Creations June 15, 2010 - 4:22 pm

This is pretty exciting stuff! Thanks for doing this x

greatgreenltd June 15, 2010 - 4:23 pm

I am a new seller. The instructions suggested introducing myself on the forum, but I seem to be going round and round trying to find out how to do this. I have never looked at forums, chat room or blogs, so this is all new too. I don`t belong to facebook or twitter either. I very much like the way people make suggestions and the site managers (if that is the proper title) do their best to make them happen. From reading bits here and there I get the feeling that Folksy is quite a community, albeit online. I am pleased that I am a part of it now as well. If anyone cares to look at one I`ve done and make suggestions i would be grateful. I was surprised that it was so much easier than I thought it would be. Thanks for clear instructions.

Shaz from Oddsox June 15, 2010 - 4:27 pm

All sounds like good stuff – really must try and get to grips with FB now!

Thanks for putting the new ‘sticky’ subject in the forums too to direct us to blog news.

Shaz x

Anna June 15, 2010 - 4:32 pm

Great new features – especially love the FB link!

Not that I’m demanding or anything, but will we be able to have a “My Folksy” tab on our FB pages too? Etsy are doing it, and I think we could all benefit…

I’m all for anything that will push Folksy and the great craftspeople that sell here – thank you for everything so far!

Anna :-)

Anne June 15, 2010 - 5:18 pm

Thanks all!

greatgreenltd – it can be very daunting when you start out, so don’t worry! It’s great to hear that you feel welcome. We certainly try to listen and act on the feedback we get as it makes Folksy much better for the people who use it. Do let us know if there’s anything we can do to help you settle in.

Shaz – I know how you feel about Facebook. I’m still learning myself ;)

Anna – yes, a Folksy tab is on its way! This is the still being worked on at the moment but shouldn’t be long.

heather aka NiftyKnits June 15, 2010 - 6:33 pm

Really pleased to see new features!

Emily June 15, 2010 - 6:45 pm

Exciting times! Thanks for keeping us updated

averilpam June 15, 2010 - 7:00 pm

This all sounds great, shop sections and a Folksy tab for Facebook – brilliant!! Thanks Folksy :)

Dottie Designs June 15, 2010 - 7:36 pm

All sounds great! Thanks for keeping us in the loop :)

Izabela June 15, 2010 - 7:37 pm

can’t wait, changes on folksy are better and better…
keep up and thank you for all
x

Andrea Berry ( polka) June 15, 2010 - 8:19 pm

sorry being a bit of a thickie here! just clicked on a thing I like what happens next does it automatically show on my profile page or my fan page ( polka )
Andrea x

Hilary June 15, 2010 - 8:26 pm

Andrea – it will show up on the profile you are logged into at the time – not a fan page. The link should be under a heading ‘recent activity’ on the wall of your facebook profile.
(not a thickie, you’re not the first to ask! )

Andrea Berry ( polka) June 15, 2010 - 8:36 pm

found it just couldnt see it the first time!! love the share button too shall be using that loads!, thanks for this, facebook is my favourite promoting tool

Craftypagan June 16, 2010 - 7:55 am

I’m so glad to hear about all these new improvements which are upcoming! I’ve just seen the messaging system has been improved-awesome! Thank you:) Rowena

Cinnamon Jewellery June 16, 2010 - 8:02 am

This is excellent news! Thank you Folksy :D

Sam (Rockasaurus Designs) June 16, 2010 - 10:02 am

Really exciting news , keep up the good work

Lupin June 16, 2010 - 6:27 pm

Great to see these updates :)

Amanda Robins June 16, 2010 - 7:03 pm

Keep up the good work, Folksy!

Forever Foxed June 17, 2010 - 6:29 am

Thanks for these improvements. I’ve just been moving my magnets and badges into the new categories. Still can’t find a place for bookmarks though. I think you mentioned previously they would go in Accessories…

talulahblue June 20, 2010 - 6:36 am

I just arrived back from my holiday and love the new changes, can we have a twitter link as well as the facebook, when possible, that’s where I get my most instant viewings ♥

Chasing Beads June 25, 2010 - 6:26 pm

Good work Folksy, I also noticed you were mentioned in an interview with a jewellery maker in the Craft Business publication – lets keep our fingers crossed for more exposure!

minifelts July 1, 2010 - 10:03 pm

Great stuff, love the new changes. Tried out the FB sharing button earlier, it’s a real time saver no more copying and pasting, woo hoo!

Keep up the good work :)

Emma August 3, 2010 - 6:12 am

Sounds like some great improvements. However I have to say I am not a fan of Facebook being an avid LinkedIn user… So links to other social networking sites should not be forgotten! Also I’d really really really (yes really) like to see a button for linking straight to a sellers blog, both from a seller point of view and a buyer. When I am looking at a shop and I like what the seller does I’d like to be able to find out more about the them by visiting their blog… It’s a great way to highlight their integrity, and also to sell Folksy itself as many sellers have a folksy button on their blogs… Bit of reciprocation me thinks. So some sort of integration with blogger and wordpress is essential. Please :)