Home Seller Tips Shop Front :: A Guide to Selling Handmade Goods Online!

Shop Front :: A Guide to Selling Handmade Goods Online!

Hello Folksy Sellers! Shop Front is a new series of articles from the Folksy Blog that we hope will become a valuable resource for sellers looking to develop their Folksy shops and make the best of this busy handmade market place.

Folksy is a thriving community of buyers and sellers of quality handmade goods and crafting supplies. Each member of Folksy can create their own shop front, where they can display items, add a shop banner and write up a profile. However, as with a real life handmade craft market a seller needs to know how to attract these customers into their shops in order to sell!

Over the next few months we will be looking at various areas of your shop front and promotional activities. We hope to bring you tips and techniques to improve your shops visibility and desirability to shoppers browsing through Folksy and also those using search engines like Google.

In this first post of the series we’re asking for your help to identify the areas you want learn more about. Whether it’s item titles or improving your photos, we’d like to know which areas of managing your shop front you would like some extra help with. So please don’t be shy!  Let us know, what you would like to see Folksy talking about in our new Shop Front Series by adding a comment below.

If you have any advice or experiences that you would like share on this subject, please email hilary@folksy.co.uk we’d love to include your tips and ideas in this new series.  If you have any ideas on ways that Folksy can improve or develop the site as a whole  please add your ideas to our ‘Things you would like Folksy to do” forum.

bonnita July 12, 2010 - 8:10 am

I think bio’s would be good, adding links, what info should be there etc.

Treaclezoo July 12, 2010 - 8:27 am

Clear advice on what should be covered in t&cs (esp. re: refunds, postage, etc) and where sellers stand legally – as distance sellers, this is a must for us to be accurately knowledgeable about – I know that some buyers are put off shops because they are not clear or legal in this area.

Deb July 12, 2010 - 8:51 am

Advice on using tags would be good for new people, I should think, and cropping, resizing etc of photographs.

Cinnamon Jewellery July 12, 2010 - 8:54 am

SEO help would be a good thing too – the importance of keywords in titles, etc.

Something I discovered recently is that the bit we write under our banners is picked up by the search engines as our shop description so making sure we have all our keywords in it will help.
Links to our other items in listings help too :D

Victoria July 12, 2010 - 9:57 am

I’d really like some customer service tips, things to do when your customers aren’t satisfied. How to keep people coming back and other things like that.

Nichola (miss frekkles) July 12, 2010 - 10:59 am

Any help is always good so I’m looking forward to this series.
I always struggle with what exactly to put in the title, I don’t want to make it too long or miss out by making it too short. Using tags is important so help with that would be good. :-)

Vix (accidentalvix) July 12, 2010 - 12:34 pm

I think the main 2 things are key words/titles/tags to appear higher up in the google listings, and photos – I find it really hard to get photos of my cards looking good – because my designs are quite simple and just sketches without lots of layers if I take photos of details it’s too close and the card looks really grainy etc.

Pricing would also be a good topic, apart from looking at the ‘competition’ which varies greatly it’s difficult as a ‘newbie’ doing this as a hobby to decide on price.

Ok, that’s probably enough now ;) but to be honest any information on how to make my shop better is always welcome ;)

xx

Hilary July 12, 2010 - 1:04 pm

Ok so far –

Titles
Tags
Pricing
Photos
Bio’s

I was wondering about listing tecniques, how often, what time of day etc?

Nichola (miss frekkles) July 12, 2010 - 1:11 pm

Yes I like that idea too Hilary. I was part of a listing everyday group and it definitely made a difference to my sales.

Hannah July 12, 2010 - 1:53 pm

I think some help on photo styling & description guidelines would be great.
Also, it would be great to give sellers tools to network with friends & family & spread the ‘folksy’ word. I love the ‘Facebook’ connection.
I think Bing is becoming more used, as well as Yahoo and obv. Google.

Many Thanks
Hannah

Blue Forest Jewellery July 12, 2010 - 7:33 pm

Sounds like a great series! Tips on getting to potential online buyers who are not crafters would be great :-)

Alison @ Blue Forest Jewellery

amyorangejuice July 13, 2010 - 6:17 am

about finding your USP, I think I have mine, not an especially popular one, but its mine. I think lots of shops need help with this though x