Home Archive Popular Crafts Magazine

Guest Post from Kerry Wilkinson, Editor of Popular Crafts magazine

Popular Crafts Logo

I’ve been working on Popular Crafts magazine’s relaunch since February this year and I love it! I originally studied to work in publishing and always dreamed of working on a magazine since I was small, and of course I love crafts, so the opportunity was perfect!

At the minute the magazine comes out bi-monthly on different themes, I am just finishing off the Christmas issue which is out later next month right now. It seems really early to be working on it, but in reality we don’t work as far ahead as many other magazines do!

A lot of magazines are starting to warm to independent business people, sooften our competition prizes or news stories are from the small supplies companies that maybe you wouldn’t have heard of before, with the intention of giving them a little bit of exposure and build their business a little more.

Popular Crafts magazine

Because I am a Folksy seller myself, (PennyDog Jewellery) I do like to include the handmade community as much as possible in the magazine too for the same reasons as featuring the little businesses. We have a regular feature on crafty blogs as well as spotlighting some of the items submitted to the member albums on our website. As well as this I like to make glossy shopping spreads and run features on individuals. Those who craft often appreciate the work that has gone into handmade pieces and so I think this is a great audience to get in front of.

Who’s that with Harry Hill? Could it be Folksy Seller Nifty Knits!

I regularly tweet for contributors, and I may well have contacted people here in the past to take part, so please don’t be shy in coming forward- we really do want your contributions and it doesn’t cost anything! All we look for is great quality products at prices that don’t undervalue your work, with clear photographs- pretty much exactly what buyers are after too! And of course if you have a success story you want to tell the world about, don’t be modest- definitely get in touch with me because I would love to celebrate it with you in print!

www.popularcrafts.com
www.twitter.com/popularcrafts

heather aka NiftyKnits September 30, 2010 - 10:54 am

oooo – look, me in my posh frock! I’m not a big magazine buyer, I confess – but obviously I loved this issue! There are lots of great features and makes, inspiration for all sorts of crafts. Go Kerry!

Rene Trewern September 30, 2010 - 11:19 am

How would I go about getting mentioned in your mag? *wink*nudge*nudge* :)

Kerry September 30, 2010 - 1:01 pm

Sorry, I meant to give my e-mail address in case anyone wants to contact me: kerry.wilkinson@myhobbystore.com (I’m on holiday next week though- yippee!)

If you want to be featured, keep your eye on Twitter and any suggestions for features and also projects (which we pay for) are always welcome via e-mail.

Polka Dota aAd Posies September 30, 2010 - 1:12 pm

Super post :0) Thanks for sharing, I think you featured one of my fabric heart cushions a little while back on your online website, it sold, so thanks for the lovely promotion. Having been on the TV ( Bargain Hunt ) am not shy of a little attention ;0) So please feel free to get in contact anytime.
Best Wishes
X

Polka Dots And Posies September 30, 2010 - 1:14 pm

Best Wishes
X

Pretty Goods September 30, 2010 - 9:09 pm

I had one of my cushions featured in the copy above, several months ago now. It did give me quite a warm glow – even though it was only a little picture. My adult ed. students were impressed!

Kirsten aka Quernus Crafts September 30, 2010 - 11:25 pm

Well done Kerry! Glad to see you’re still loving the new (or not so new) job! Have a lovely holiday!

Julia Yorkaka October 1, 2010 - 9:21 pm

Thank you for the information Kerry. I shall pay close attention to twitter. Enjoy your holiday.

Julia York October 1, 2010 - 9:22 pm

Thank you for the information Kerry. I shall pay closer attention to twitter. Enjoy your holiday.