Photography Tips

We are really excited to announce that we have a brand new photography columnist. Beginning next Monday professional photographer, Jo Bradford will be writing fortnightly posts an various aspects of photography and taking the best shots of your products. We know that this is an area that has many of you frustrated. Sharp, bright images are undoubtedly the vital ingredient of a succesful online shop.

We thought we’d tell you about a few of Jo’s expert credentials for taking on this position as photography columnist for Folksy.

Green Island Art Studios

Jo is currently the artist in residence at Plymouth College of Art of Design for 2010/2011, and regularly exhibits her art in shows all over the world. You may have seen some of Jo’s work listed here on Folksy, as she has recently opened a shop selling her prints under the name ‘Green Island Art Studios‘. Alongside her professional work as a photographer, she also writes and delivers courses for college students on GCSE, A-Level and HNC courses in various aspects of photography as well as providing extra curricular photography clubs for children as young as 5.

Green Island Art Studios

You can find out much more about Jo over on her website www.jobradford.com and by visiting her fascinating blog. Perhaps one of the most interesting and unusual of Jo’s recent ventures, also happening in February 2011, is that she is going to have one of her photographs blasted into space on the shuttle Endeavour taking off from Florida on its final mission to the International Space Station. (wow!)

We hope you are as impressed and excited as we are at Folksy HQ to have Jo joining our growing team of columnists. We’d love to hear from you about what you find most difficult about photographing your products, so please leave us a comment here and let us know what sort of help you need.

Sally January 31, 2011 - 8:48 am

That’s fabulous, I really struggle with the photography of products. I have just got a new super duper camera, in theory it is capable of taking good photos. It’s just me that’s not!

I look forward eagerly to Jo’s tips :-)

Sixes and Sevens January 31, 2011 - 9:41 am

Jo’s photographs are stunning, and having something you created blasted into space, well it doesn’t get more impressive than that does it!

Very exciting she’s on board (folksy not the shuttle!) to help us with some tips. Help with composition is what I really need, so if there could be some tips on that please.

Fiona McAllister aka Camberwell Beauty January 31, 2011 - 12:05 pm

Amazing photos from Jo – check out her beach & surfing work too – love them!
Can’t wait to read her first post :)

Karen January 31, 2011 - 1:18 pm

What a brilliant idea, Jo’s photo’s are brilliant. I need help on being close enough but not too close so they are too fuzzy. Also ideas on making the photos more interesting/getting the right background.

Kerry (AcReSofBLuEsKy) January 31, 2011 - 6:30 pm

Fantastic photos. I’m so pleased to read this! I always struggle with getting the right light and avoid unwanted shadows; it would be nice if I didn’t have to use Photoshop so much.

Nancy (Twenty-to-Nine) February 1, 2011 - 1:13 pm

This is an amazing idea, can’t wait!

Jo Bradford February 1, 2011 - 11:02 pm

I am looking forward to being the new columnist on Folksy, I really hope it helps lots of Folksy Folk to make the most of all the amazing stuff they make and sell.

I will make sure I cover everything that you need to know, and welcome any questions and requests. I will be starting off with a look at cameras and the features you need, and what they do.

After that it will be feet first into the business of making better pictures. Can’t wait to meet you all!