This communication went out yesterday (Thurs 13th Oct 2011) by email to all makers and designers who have listed on Folksy in the last couple of years (unless you have unsubscribed from our emails). It outlines some of the changes we’re making for the re-launch in mid-November and how this affects people who use Folksy.
New site, new Folksy
Folksy is having a significant makeover which we announced back in September, part of our desire to make Folksy the best place to buy and sell handmade work from UK designers and makers. The image shows a sneak peek of the new design template in draft form (it’s just a crop showing the new navigation, we’ll release more of the new design work in the coming days and weeks).
Below, we outline the new categories on the site and why we’re implementing them. We also point to a screencast (a video) of how you can edit your listings so they display in the new site, launching in mid November.
Changes to the categories
The new site designs have been created hand-in-hand with a thorough review of the navigation. In particular we’ve worked hard to optimise the site for buyers to browse your work more easily. We believe the new sections and categories are more intuitive for people and the filters (by price, colour and materials) enable people to create more manageable lists of items to explore and then buy.
Weddings is a new section and we have used rooms to organise your
work in the Home and Garden section. Cards benefit from events sub-categories (for example Birthdays and Anniversaries) and Supplies gets its own section split into commercial, handmade and also services, to cover off logos and banner work, which
felt odd previously mixed in with tangible, crafted work.
Some categories and items will be phased out. Oils are one area which we feel have been out of kilter with what Folksy is about. Oils, creams, gels, salves, scrubs and balms are primarily beauty and cosmetic items rather than recognised decorative crafts (whereas we believe soaps and “bath bombs” / “bubble bars” are).
Oils, creams, balms, salves or scrubs will be phased out and you will not be able to list them on the new site. Any currently listed will not be seen in the new categories but will still be
able to be found on the site (through search) and bought for the duration of the listing. If you want to edit your listing into something else during that time then of course you can.
New category list
- Accessories – Scarves, Hats, Hair clips, Fascinators, Belts, Handkerchiefs, Hair bands, Corsages, Pocket mirrors, Ear muffs, Charms, Badges, Gloves, Key rings, Everything else
- Bags & Cases – Bags, Purses, Glasses cases, Rucksacks, Satchels, Cases, Totes, Panniers, iPod cases, iPad sleeves, Mobile phone cases, Kindle cases, Toiletry bags, Laptop sleeves
- Clothing – Skirts, Dresses, Blouses, Petticoats, Jackets, Shirts, Trousers, T-shirts, Jumpers, Cardigans, Shoes, Socks, Costumes, Slippers, Ponchos, Shawls, Bras, Knickers, Corsets
- Jewellery – Necklaces, Bracelets, Rings, Earrings, Cuffs, Jewellery sets, Brooches, Everything else
- Accessories – Gloves, Hats, Belts, Key rings, Badges, Ties, Scarves, Handkerchiefs, Everything else
- Bags & Cases – Wallets, Glasses cases, Rucksacks, Satchels, Cases, Panniers, iPod cases, iPad sleeves, Mobile phone cases, Kindle cases, Toiletry bags, Laptop sleeves
- Clothing – Jackets, Shirts, Trousers, T-shirts, Vests, Jumpers, Cardigans, Shoes, Socks, Underwear, Costumes, Slippers
- Jewellery – Cufflinks, Earrings, Rings, Necklaces, Everything else
Babies & Children:
- Accessories – Hats, gloves & scarves, Bracelets, Necklaces, Hair accessories, Everything else
- Babycare – Bags, Cases, Bibs & cloths, Changing mats
- Cards & Invitations – Cards, Invitations
- Clothing & Shoes – Babygrows, Trousers, Skirts, T-shirts, Shoes, Dresses, Costumes, Socks & booties
- Nursery – Tables, Chairs, Lamps, Lampshades, Bookshelves, Toys, Mobiles, Bedding, Storage, Play mats, Everything else
Home & Garden:
- Bedroom & Bathroom – Soaps, Bath bombs, Throws, Bedding, Scented bags, Hot water bottle covers, Towels, Everything else
- Craft room & Workshop – Pin cushions, Knitting bags, Knitting needle rolls, Sewing needle cases, Craft storage, Everything else
- Kitchen & Dining – Candles, Tea towels, Napkins, Place mats, Cups & mugs, Bowls, Coasters, Candle holders, Cosies, Aprons, Doorstops, Magnets, Dishcloths, Trivets, Glasses, Everything else
- Office & Stationery – USB sticks, Notepads, Bookmarks, Calendars, Diaries, Envelopes, Gift wrap, Gift tags, Invitations, Journals, Notebooks, Place cards, Postcards, Stamps, Stickers, Writing paper, Paperweights, Everything else
- Laundry & Storage – Laundry bag, Peg bag, Ironing board cover, Everything else
- Living Room – Cushions, Blankets, Rugs, Clocks, Vases, Decorations, Bookends, Everything else
- Cards – Anniversary, Birthday, New home, New job, Sympathy, Art, Congratulations, Weddings
- Christmas – Decorations, Wreaths, Stockings
- Dolls & Collectables – Dolls, Puppets, Animals, Doll accessories, Bears
- Furniture & Lighting – Storage, Signs, Tables, Bookcases, Cabinets, Chairs, Shelves, Lamps, Lampshades, Everything else
- Garden & Pets – Garden furniture, Ornaments, Wildlife feeders, Planters & pots, Tools & equipment, Cat collars, Dog collars, Pet blankets & beds, Leads, Dog coats, Bunting, Pet toys, Everything else
Art & Prints:
- Fine art & Photography – Photographs, Drawings, Paintings, Illustrations Glass & Sculpture – Stone, Ceramic, Glass, Wood, Stained glass, Plastics, Polymer clay
- Mixed Media – Textile, Collage
- Printed Material – Comics, Zines
- Prints – Lino prints, Screen prints, Letterpress prints, Gocco prints, Woodcuts & engravings
- Accessories – Bouquets, Cake toppers, Everything else
- Clothing & Shoes – Shoes, Dresses, Garters, Everything else
- Hats & Hair accessories – Hats, Fascinators, Tiaras, Everything else
- Jewellery – Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets
- Stationery – Invitations, Place cards
- Commercial – Buttons, Beads, Charms, Kits, Fabric, Felt, Yarn, Patterns
- Design Services – Printed material, Banners, Logos & avatars
- Handmade – Buttons, Beads, Charms, Kits, Fabric, Felt, Yarn, Patterns
What do you do now?
We’re rolling out a pre-launch interface to all Folksy designers and makers to allow you to edit your listings and re-categorise them. Don’t panic! We’ve created a one page batch re-categorisation process and also produced a screencast to show
you how to use this.
If you have a listing you’ll receive an email in the next few weeks inviting you to edit your listings. You’ll also be
notified this in the “your account” area of Folksy.
INSTRUCTIONS: This screencast gives a step-by-step guide to re-categorising your work when your account gets activated (the video is only 4 minutes long).
The screencast won’t be the most riveting 4 minutes of your day (unless you’re having a bad day), so as an antidote you might want to have a peak at the new Folksy magazine, Frankly. We hope you like it.
Best wishes from the Folksy team.