Home NewsAnnouncements Dashboard and Plus Account changes

Dashboard and Plus Account changes

by James

Image copyright: India Hobson

The Plus account has been a great success with over 850 makers taking up the offer to have unlimited listings and be a “Plus” seller. To help us continue to make improvements to Folksy on January 7th 2013 the price of the Plus account on Folksy will be increasing from £30 (inc. VAT) to £45 (inc. VAT).

In January we’ll also be introducing an improved seller dashboard which will show the views on your shop and item pages from yesterday and the last 7 or 31 days (we’re still experimenting with which time frame(s) to work with). This is designed for those who don’t want to use Google Analytics and whilst the stats on our new dashboard won’t be as comprehensive as Google Analytics they will help you with your marketing strategies. This feature is one that has been heavily requested (over 350 votes on the Uservoice page), we’re at the design stage for this project and are excited about delivering a valuable feature for you to help monitor the activity on your shops.

heather aka NiftyKnits November 12, 2012 - 4:33 pm

looking forward to the return of viewing figures, thank you!

Sue Trevor November 12, 2012 - 5:52 pm

Don’t like the first bit of news :) but the 2nd is very welcome :) :)
Sue

Sue November 12, 2012 - 7:38 pm

Improved facilities with views will be great – more esily ‘to-hand’ than GA which many of us may use alongside Folksy stats. I think the price rise is fair – but would be concerned if it rose by the same margin the following year.

Sally November 14, 2012 - 11:33 am

I think that a 50% rise such a short time after introducing Plus is disgraceful. I’ll see how sales go, but I’ll probably leave Folksy when my rebewal comes up.

James November 14, 2012 - 6:04 pm

The initial offer was an introductory offer and of course you would be foolish to buy something you didn’t believe offered you value. However, if you do the sums you may still find it does (many on the forums agree it still offers good value). If not there’s always the PAYG account – that’s the beauty of having the choice – you choose what works for you!

Sue Trevor November 15, 2012 - 11:30 pm

The price rise answer wasn’t really a criticism, there was a smile after it. It works for me, and I love being able to list without worrying about accruing charges unless I sell. I think it is still worth using even at the new price :)
Sue

pixie November 14, 2012 - 12:19 pm

That’s quite a hike in price, but the stats will definitely be a welcome change.
Any news on taggingour items?

LizzieMade November 14, 2012 - 7:52 pm

I’m new to Folksy. Still evaluating, but so far I’m not as pleased with the site as I had expected to be.

I’ve just been put off upgrading to Plus, because I can’t pay from my Paypal account – where my money is. So I’m not sure about the £45 a year; with the limited features offered just now, I am not sure I will make enough from Folksy to justify such an outlay.

On-board Shop stats are a good idea – even if they are simple to start with, I’m sure they can be developed further; that’s good news.

As Pixie mentions, I also would welcome Tags. This is something I expected to be here when I started my shop. I’m afraid the search system is so limited. I am not confident, just now, that my items are being found – I certainly don’t find them when I do some searches, even though I would expect them to show up.

With the setup as it is, I’m not sure I will upgrade to Plus – especially at the new rate. Thus far, my hard work doesn’t seem to be paying; it’s early days, so we shall see…

James November 15, 2012 - 10:29 am

Hi LizzieMade,
Thanks for taking that time to feedback.
1. We use GoCardless for the annual payments as it’s far easier for us to process (and it’s cheaper!) than Paypal but as it is a direct debit service it should be simple to take from your bank account (presuming you have one and don’t *just* use PayPal). But we do accept that it takes longer to do this than a PayPal payment would take – we thought it a suitable compromise as it’s only once a year (and not once a month like the fees).
2. Tags. We don’t support tags and have no intention of doing this for good technical and architecture / browsing reasons. They’re a nightmare to support technically and whilst they can be useful for “ambient discoverability” i.e. just looking around, they don’t do anything that search doesn’t do and *can* result is spam (we had an awful lot of tag spam when we did support tags). For example, if you tagged an illustration with a chair in with “chair” it would be accurate but wouldn’t necessarily be the chair you were after (probably furniture). This is why categories are far better for directed browsing. But search *does* still work in this way – using all the terms in your title and description and inspiration (and materials etc.) to give you back relevant results. Few large scale services use tags for just the reasons we do. What we are looking at is improving browsing on Folksy – that’s the key need you’ve identified and we’ll work on that. Interestingly many services are now moving to social “streams” of work (e.g. pinterest) that you can browse quickly and that seems to work very well.
3. It doesn’t seem to be paying. There are a heap of ways you can learn how to improve your sales which include product design (is this a product people want? who wants it? what differentiates your work from others?) to documenting – does the product look great – is my photography and framing right? and of course marketing – where are my audience and how can I communicate with them effectively so I stand out? There are some great tips from the Design Trust on Frankly you might find useful.